If you are looking for a quick escape, Same Time Next Summer by Annabel Monaghan is for you!
Sam spent her summers growing up at the beach, Wyatt lived next door. They were friends that fell in love, and it all came to a shocking halt when they were 17. (No spoilers!) Years later, Sam returns to the beach with her fiancé to investigate wedding venues and comes face to face with Wyatt, her teenage love. You can imagine how it all might play out but the journey is very enjoyable and Monaghan writes a dual timeline so we can watch Sam and Wyatt’s special relationship develop when they were young. Special summers, heartbreaks and the power of first loves… nostalgic with plenty of heartfelt moments, Same Time Next Summer is a perfect beach read!
About the Author
Things you may not know about Annabel Monaghan…
1. I share a birthday with Andy Rooney and LL Cool J. This fact is the lens through which I view the rest of my life.
2. I’m a lefty. The nuns never bothered me about it.
3. I always give young girls two pieces of advice: put sunscreen on your chest and marry Canadian. The rest seems obvious.
4. I still have every love letter I’ve ever received.
5. I’ve looked everywhere, but it turns out I don’t have a daughter.
6. I’m a member of six secret Facebook groups. I’ve said too much already.
7. I read Pride and Prejudice nearly every year.
8. My favorite movies generally end with a prom.
9. My Christmas tree is up the day after Thanksgiving and on the curb by 8am December 26th.
10. I find that it’s easier raising three kids than it was raising one.
11. I love funerals and the way they bring out the best in people.
12. I hid in my laundry room for an entire week while reading the Twilight series.
13. It always surprises me that you can still get your heart broken as an adult.
14. When I was a child I was sure I’d marry Steve Martin.
15. When I’m deep into a writing project, I’m not listening to anything you’re saying.
16. No, I don’t want to be on your committee.
Annabel’s debut adult novel, Nora Goes Off Script, came out in June 2022 from G.P. Putnam’s Sons, and her second, Same Time Next Summer came out in June 2023. Writing these love stories has probably been the most fun she’s ever had. Pre-Nora, she wrote fiction for young adults and a column for not-so-young adults.
Monaghan grew up in Los Angeles, and nearly every one of her relatives still lives in Southern California. She attended Duke University where I studied English. She has an MBA from The Wharton School of The University of Pennsylvania and a brief history as an investment banker. She also used to teach novel writing at the The Writing Institute at Sarah Lawrence College. She now lives in the suburbs of New York City with her family, including a little dog who sheds.